Global satellite technology company in northern Virginia is looking for Counsel to provide advice and legal support to the business leaders and Human Resources division of the company.
Hours/Schedule: Full-time, flexible
Job Type: Direct Hire
Location Requirements: Hybrid
Job Description: Primary responsibility will be to provide advice and legal support to the business leaders and Human Resources on a broad range of global labor and employment law, ERISA/global benefits, litigation and data privacy issues.
- Partner with Human Resources to evaluate, develop and implement employment practices, policies, and procedures in compliance with employment laws and regulations worldwide.
- Draft and negotiate employment agreements, severance agreements, incentive pay plans, benefits documents and third-party vendor agreements related to Human Resources functions.
- Support Human Resources with management of the company’s health and welfare benefit programs, savings and retirement plans, and deferred compensation programs. Ensure plan documents are properly administered, maintained, and updated and compliant with applicable laws.
- Oversee internal investigations and manage employment-related disputes and litigation.
- Manage outside counsel on employment and benefits matters. Collaborate with local counsel to advise stakeholders on international employment and immigration issues.
- Respond to claims, demand letters, subpoenas, audits, and other employment-related inquiries.
- Assess legal risk and provide management with recommendations regarding threatened and pending litigation. Engage in pre-litigation dispute resolution efforts.
- Review pleadings, motions and other court documents prior to filing.
- Review and aid outside counsel in preparation of discovery.
- Oversee the company’s data privacy policies and provide guidance and advice to ensure compliance with GDPR and other relevant data privacy/protection requirements.
- Handle other department responsibilities and compliance issues as directed by the Associate General Counsel, VP, Commercial Legal Affairs, or General Counsel
- Juris Doctor (JD) degree
- Membership in good standing in a state bar
- At least three years of broad-based global employment law experience on complex/varied matters within a reputable national law firm and/or comparable in-house experience
- Superior knowledge of US federal and state employment laws and strong understanding of employee benefits laws.
- Ability to evaluate risk, demonstrate a practical, solution-oriented approach to problem-solving, and effectively counsel internal clients by providing them with clear and concise recommendations.
- Excellent organizational and follow-through skills; demonstrated ability to create, plan and successfully execute projects; ability to meet multiple time-sensitive deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, team-oriented attitude, and superior attention to detail. Ability to interface and communicate effectively and diplomatically with all levels of management.
- This role is subject to ITAR; candidates must be a US Person (this includes US Citizen, Permanent Resident or Protected Individual such as an asylee or refugee)
- Experience with employee benefits matters preferred.
- Experience with litigation matters preferred.
FlexProfessionals respects and seeks to empower each individual and support the diverse cultures, perspectives, skills and experiences of its candidate network. FlexProfessionals does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status or any other basis covered by appropriate law. The candidates whose resumes are shared with our business clients are selected on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.