Instrument and consumable manufacturer for pharmaceutical research and QC market seeks General Counsel.
Hours/Schedule: 25-30 hours/week
Job Type: Contract
Location Requirements: Mostly Remote with some on-site meetings in Billerica, MA
Job Description: The General Counsel will provide effective advice on company strategies and implementation, manage the legal function, and obtain and oversee the work of outside counsel. The General Counsel will ensure that the legal affairs of the company are attended to in an effective and efficient manner. Under the guidance of the President, the General Counsel will play a critical role in supporting the implementation of the company’s business strategy and methods. The General Counsel will serve as a leader to proactively provide the company with pragmatic, timely advice supporting company growth.
- Participates in the definition and development of corporate policies, procedures and programs and provides continuing counsel and guidance on legal matters and on legal implications of all matters.
- Serves as key lawyer/legal advisor on all major business transactions.
- Oversees the selection, retention, management and evaluation of all outside counsel.
- Structures, drafts, and negotiates commercial agreements.
- Provides legal consulting in policy development and training with regard to preventative law.
- Undertakes special projects as assigned dependent upon knowledge or experience.
- Reconciles and determines the legal position in major legal matters.
- Reviews, evaluates, and comments on obligations of the company, and advises executive leadership regarding the degree of legal risk associated with contracts and obligations.
- Interfaces with executive leadership to provide legal and strategic advice across a wide range of business and legal matters.
- Partners with executive leadership on corporate governance matters.
- Drives legal processes to control and streamline legal review, documents, approvals and record keeping.
- Provides counsel on employment and HR matters
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities.
- Customer/Client Focus
- Collaboration Skills
- Problem Solving/Analysis
- Time Management
- Sound judgment with ability to balance legal risk and business impact.
- Ability to think intuitively and from learned experience.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Broad legal subject matter experience.
- J.D. from accredited law school.
- Member in good standing of Massachusetts state bar.
- Minimum of six years’ experience in a law firm and/or as in house counsel.
- Experience managing other attorneys and supervising support staff in a corporation; experience with cost-effective management of outside legal resources.
- Experience in directing strategy and managing litigation.
- Experience drafting and negotiating complex commercial contracts.
FlexProfessionals respects and seeks to empower each individual and support the diverse cultures, perspectives, skills and experiences of its candidate network. FlexProfessionals does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status or any other basis covered by appropriate law. The candidates whose resumes are shared with our business clients are selected on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.