Non-profit in Silver Spring, MD supporting individuals with disabilities seeks Grants Writer for FT Flex, mostly virtual position.
Hours/Schedule: Full-time, flexible
Job Type: Direct hire
Location Requirements: Mostly remote with occasional meeting in Silver Spring as needed.
Rate: $80K annual salary plus benefits
Job Description: The Grants Writer will report to the Senior Director, Grants and Foundation Relations. The Grants Writer will be responsible for contributing to grants fundraising from foundations, corporations, and government agencies as well as contract proposals. The Grants Writer will write grant proposals, research current needs, collect data from program staff, write reports to granting agencies and foundations, and contribute broadly to a team of innovative thinkers in building new programs and explaining them in writing. To execute these tasks he or she will work with executive and program level staff to formulate and finalize ideas and respond to RFP and grant LOIs/applications with the guidance of the senior members of the Grants and Foundation Relations team. The Grants Writer will have the full support of the Development Department, which is working with each potential funder to cultivate and/or steward relationships. The Grants Writer will work closely with Program teams to develop a thorough understanding of organization's programs and to involve them in solicitations as appropriate.
Responsibilities: Works with Senior Director and Grants Team to research and identify new government, corporate, foundation and private funding prospects. Will produce well-developed, successful grant proposals to above mentioned: government, corporate, foundation and private funding prospects under the guidance of the senior members of the Grants and Foundation Relations team. Primary responsibilities include preparation of proposals and grant applications, and performance of responsible professional and administrative work in researching, identifying, developing and responding to public and private grant opportunities in the areas of Disability, Seniors, Youth and Children, Social Welfare Programs, Veteran and Military Families, Workforce Development, Healthcare Services (including Mental Health), Human Services, Inclusion Training, Racial Equity, and other themes as identified by organization. Duties also include writing reports to granting agencies and foundations. Work is performed under direction of the Senior Director, Grants and Foundation Relations. The successful applicant will be expected to work independently upon receiving guidance. Expectations include:
- Generates proposals and supporting documents in response to RFP and other grant solicitation opportunities.
- Generates revenues for programs and services through timely submission of well-researched, well written and well-documented grant/fundraising proposals.
- Collaborates with others throughout the organization to produce grant proposals and reports.
- Actively edits other team members’ narrative documents, working in collaboration with teammates to edit one another.
- Maintains communication with team to ensure knowledge of funding calendar activities and cultivation activities for each potential funder. Manages input of his/her portfolio items on the calendar via Smartsheets.
- Identifies funding opportunities and new program areas to match priorities, using research and critical thinking.
- Engages with program officers to determine which programs are best suited to match the solicitation of a funder, and develop successful grants.
- Successfully works with all members of the Development Team and others throughout the organization.
- Maintains inter-departmental relationships, including Finance and all program areas
- Documents departmental activities and provide internal reports as requested
- Other duties as assigned.
- It is important that the Grants Writer be actively engaged in and supportive of the mission. A passion for creating opportunities for people with disabilities to reach their full potential and supporting them and their families will be crucial to success.
- The successful candidate will be a thoughtful, strategic individual who applies a disciplined approach to fundraising and has experience driving a metrics-based approach. He or she will be a creative strategist and problem solver.
- He or she will be results-oriented and good at building healthy relationships with Program and Leadership staff. Exceptional communications skills (both written and oral) are required to enable the Grants Writer to produce successful grant proposals, which will create healthy partnerships for organization.
- Strong organizational skills and an ability to think on one’s feet are mandatory as we function in a fast-paced environment, where deadlines are priority, and handling multiple jobs simultaneously within rapidly changing circumstances is the norm. Operating skills such as organizing, planning, communication and writing are crucial to success.
- Qualified candidates should possess excellent writing and computer skills (Microsoft Office, Word, Access, PowerPoint and Excel), and database management skills.
Overall, the candidate must be highly organized with the ability to implement systems and follow-up processes, able to effectively work under pressure, use independent judgment and produce a quality work product within tight time constraints. Previous experience will demonstrate a proven track record in securing new funding opportunities; comprehensive knowledge of research, and the ability to distinguish and identify funding opportunities for special programs.
- At least three years as a professional grant writer or commensurate development experience
- Bachelor’s degree
- Proven track record in critical thinking, proposal writing and winning major grants
- Excellent communications skills (written and oral)
- Ability to work cross-functionally to achieve objectives
- Master’s degree
FlexProfessionals respects and seeks to empower each individual and support the diverse cultures, perspectives, skills and experiences of its candidate network. FlexProfessionals does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status or any other basis covered by appropriate law. The candidates whose resumes are shared with our business clients are selected on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.