Public two-year institution hyper-focused on driving student success and uplifting the communities they service is seeking a 6-month, contract Interim Assistant Vice President of Human Resources to join their dynamic team.
Hours/Schedule: 37.5 hours/week, full-time. Hours and scheduling allow for a great deal of flexibility.
Job Type: Contract, approximately 6 month, possibility for extension or conversion
Location Requirements: Hybrid, 2 days/week remote, Greater Boston area
Job Description: The Interim Assistant Vice President of Human Resources will serve a local higher education institution. As Assistant VP of Human Resources, the candidate will provide expert leadership in developing and executing comprehensive human resources strategies that align with the college's mission, vision, and strategic goals. The candidate will be instrumental in fostering a positive work environment, managing labor union relations, and leveraging expertise in higher education, particularly within the context of community colleges.
- Direct the Human Resources, Payroll, and Compliance staff in the performance of their duties, establishing work priorities and achieving management objectives
- Plan, organize, direct, and provide overall supervision for all Human Resources operations and activities including but not limited to talent recruitment and hiring, payroll and benefits, employee records, employee engagement, contract negotiations and administration, policy development, and labor relations
- Lead the development and administration of HR policies and procedures to support the college strategic planning initiatives
- Serve as internal consultant to supervisors on employee morale, disciplinary problems, performance issues, and other personnel actions
- Interact with Legal Counsel as appropriate
- Administer collective bargaining agreements and serve as hearing officer at grievance hearings
- Counsel employees on human resources policies, identifying and resolving problems and recommending appropriate course of action
- Develop and deliver training programs that enhance the professional development of all employees including mandated training, supervisory training, and participating in train the trainer sessions for the college such as Achieve Global, NCBI, DISC Training, supervisory training, leadership development training
- Develop relationships with community-based agencies and professional organizations for the purpose of diversity recruitment and outreach
- Participate on College-wide committees and teams representing HR/Payroll issues
- Work collaboratively with internal and external groups to support workforce diversity, equity and inclusion initiatives, and serve as HR liaison to diversity groups on campus
- Oversee maintenance of all job classification plans and other Human Resource Department functions, including performing job audits in response to classification appeals
- Research and implement best practices in HR/Payroll department processes and operations
- Chair the CORI Review Board and coordinate the CORI review process for students and employees working with at risk populations
- Ensure that HR records, organizational charts, and information systems are maintained in a confidential and compliant manner.
- Plan, develop and administer the annual budget for the Human Resources Department
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Master’s degree in related discipline preferred or the equivalent combination of education and experience
- A minimum of eight years of progressively responsible human resource management experience, including a minimum of 4 years of supervisory experience
- Demonstrated expertise and experience across all HR functional areas including payroll, training and development, employee relations, performance management, implementation of diversity initiatives
- Proven ability to interact successfully and sensitively with all members of an ethnically diverse college community including students, staff, supervisors, managers, trustees, community partners, state offices and the general public
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with managers, faculty and staff
- Experience in HR payroll systems and management, such as HRCMS, Peoplesoft or similar integrated payroll system is required
- Technology proficiency in areas related to HR and payroll management: MS Excel, Word and PowerPoint
- Knowledge of federal and state employment regulations, and labor and employee relations including labor union contract implementation and interpretation
- Demonstrated skills in written and oral communication, and the ability to make effective presentations to groups
- Experience working with a unionized workforce preferred
- Experience in higher education preferred
- Candidates will be required to pass a CORI background check
FlexProfessionals respects and seeks to empower each individual and support the diverse cultures, perspectives, skills and experiences of its candidate network. FlexProfessionals does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status or any other basis covered by appropriate law. The candidates whose resumes are shared with our business clients are selected on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.