Medical Society in Reston, VA seeks full-time flex Publications Assistant for 35 hours/week.
Hours/Schedule: Full-time flexible – 35 hours/week is full-time.
Job Type: Direct
Location Requirements: Currently virtual with plans for hybrid in January 2023 (Tues and Wed in Reston office)
Rate: $50-55K salary plus benefits
Job Description: The Publications Assistant is responsible for providing administrative and production support for the Society's journals and the Communications Department, performing a variety of computer-based administrative duties, peer review support for the journals, services for book production, and other projects as assigned.
- The Publications Assistant will oversee intake of new articles through the online submission system and ensure that all submissions are formatted to journal specifications.
- Submissions will be corrected and/or reformatted as needed and returned to author for correction when required material is missing.
- The Assistant will assist authors with the submission process as needed, providing answers to questions, uploading material on their behalf, and troubleshooting errors in the process.
- When submissions are returned to the author for correction, the Assistant will follow up with authors who have not returned their submissions in a timely manner, and police the system for duplicate or redundant submissions created in error.
- The Assistant will exercise judgment in handling non-standard submissions and escalate to the Editorial Project Manager or Assistant Director as needed.
- Additional duties will be assigned as the workflow is changed by internal and external factors and as the Assistant becomes more familiar with operations.
- The Assistant will oversee administrative duties related to the journal, primarily monitoring the journal mailboxes, logging in required forms as they are received, and forwarding messages to their intended recipients.
- The Assistant will monitor the permissions mailbox to screen incoming reprint permission requests before forwarding to the proper recipient. The Assistant will generate permission letters and invoices as needed, including tracking payment for those invoices.
- The Assistant will follow up with authors who have yet to pay their publication fee, as well as produce and track invoices for additional publication fees for excess page count as directed by the Editorial Project Manager.
- The Assistant will provide additional QC on the journal websites and related websites and search for irregularities.
- Additional duties include maintaining the digital article archive, distributing reader surveys, and administering the award sent to student authors of articles (an extensive annual project).
- Assist with newsletter and book administration.
- Review miscellaneous communications for staff as needed.
- Order supplies for the department.
- Perform other administrative duties as needed.
- Minimum 2 years of publications experience; journal editorial experience a plus.
- Baccalaureate degree preferred
- Excellent oral and written communication skills; editing/proofreading skills a plus; basic test required.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail. Ability to handle multiple ongoing projects.
- Excellent word processing and position-related computer skills.
- Ability to work under deadline pressure.
- Professional demeanor
- Cooperation with Society members and fellow staff members.
- Maintenance of current position description, position responsibilities roster, and respective standard procedures on word processing files.
- Assumption of delegated authority and responsibility.
FlexProfessionals respects and seeks to empower each individual and support the diverse cultures, perspectives, skills and experiences of its candidate network. FlexProfessionals does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status or any other basis covered by appropriate law. The candidates whose resumes are shared with our business clients are selected on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.